Thursday, September 19, 2013

Lord, Make Us All Three!

Meanwhile his disciples urged him, “Rabbi, eat something.”
But he said to them, “I have food to eat that you know nothing about.”
Then his disciples said to each other, “Could someone have brought him food?”
“My food,” said Jesus, “is to do the will of him who sent me and to finish his work.”
John 4:31-34
 
 
I love the play on words because if you read this verse in the KJV.
The word food is interpreted as meat – Jesus says:
“My meat is to do the will of Him who sent me.”
Meat belongs to the mature!
We might paraphrase it this way –
Jesus says – I am on a steady diet of doing the will of God
Do you want to grow in understanding the things of God?
Then feed on a steady diet of doing His will.
I know – it sounds too simple to be true but it is.
Not just the – in the one ear and out the other – hearing on Sunday morning but the doing!
I wonder why Jesus chose to use the phrase “to do the will of Him who sent me and to finish His work.”
Maybe, in part, as a point to us because we so often start well but don’t finish well.
The mature finish well.
They are on a steady diet of hearing, understanding and doing His will!
So many hear, fewer understand and fewer still do!
Lord, make us all three!

No comments: