Monday, March 27, 2017

Lock me up and throw away the key



Today’s blog post is contributed by David Trotta:

And remember, if you were a slave when the Lord called you, you are now free in the Lord. And if you were free when the Lord called you, you are now a slave of Christ. (1 Corinthians 7:22)

The bible teaches that the apostle Paul was imprisoned for preaching the good news about Jesus, but Paul was a prisoner in more ways than one.  Whether physically in chains or free to continue preaching the gospel, Paul’s heart was a slave of Jesus.

The wisdom of the world will tell you that being a slave to anything is bad, but the truth is we are all enslaved to something.  What holds your heart captive?  If it’s not Jesus, it may be a relationship, money, our careers, our children, or any other number of things.

But, it’s only when we are enslaved to Jesus that we are truly free. He is the perfect master, the only one who offers true freedom.  When we surrender all to Jesus, we are empowered to walk in our God-given destiny and be all that we are created to be.

In My Utmost for His Highest, Oswald Chambers wrote “The passion of Christianity comes from deliberately signing away my own rights and becoming a bondservant of Jesus Christ. Until I do that, I will not begin to be a saint.”

May this poem be the cry of your heart…

Lock me up and throw away the key.

I don’t want my heart to be a prisoner of anyone but thee.

A life sentence I desire, never again to be free.

A bond-servant to Jesus for all eternity.

No comments: