Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Behind Closed Doors

“I will conduct the affairs of my house
    with a blameless heart.
I will not look with approval
    on anything that is vile.”
Psalm 101:2b-3a
 
 
You enter your house and you close your door.
“My castle is my kingdom!” you say.
But if you are a follower of Jesus Christ,
His Kingdom includes your “castle”.
He has blessed you with it.
Why do you suppose the Psalm writer said he would conduct the
affairs of his house with a blameless heart?
I think we must admit that what we are in private can sometimes
be different than what we want to project in public.
The Psalmist recognized this struggle of human nature and declared not to follow it!
Think about the next lines though.
“I will not look with approval on anything that is vile.”
Keep in mind that these words were written hundreds of years before internet surfing, television or magazines.
They all can broadcast ‘vile’ things into our homes.
Do we look with approval on those things in our home?
Yes, each of them can be used for good.
Yes, they can be used to advance the Kingdom of God.  
But they also can be vexing to our Spirit if we do not conduct
the affairs of our home with an upright heart.
May the timeless and eternal Word of God challenge each of us
to conduct the affairs of our home with a blameless heart!

No comments: