Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Every Human Authority


“Submit yourselves for the Lord’s sake to every human authority: whether to the emperor, as the supreme authority, or to governors, who are sent by him to punish those who do wrong and to commend those who do right.”

I Peter 2:3-14






Every human authority includes policemen, teachers and bosses.

Those might easily be the ‘big three’ for many of us.

Of course children submit within their families to mom and dad but the context here is primarily dealing with civil authorities.

Of course we all struggle with those big three.

Of the policemen, we complain, “But officer I was only going 15 miles over!”

To the teachers, we lament, “My brother doesn’t get this much homework.”

Finally, our bosses, what can I say?

Who isn’t guilty of trying to find a way around the bosses’ requirements?

We even label them ‘demands’ to make our rebellion seem more justifiable.

But the author writes clearly and without equivocation –

“Submit yourselves for the Lord’s sake to every human authority...”

This is one of those scriptures where we look for the loop hole, the wiggle room, the fine print.

But we can’t find it because it says what it means!

I would challenge you today to consider how you might fulfill this command in your life.

What areas and to what authority do I struggle to submit too?

Where can I humble myself and obediently do as God commands?

Are you ready for some revelation?

Honestly ask the Holy Spirt those questions and He will be faithful to show you.

No comments: