Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Stone to Flesh



If you placed a sponge and a rock into a bucket of water which would absorb more of the water?

Of course it would be the porous sponge.

Our hearts can be porous like a sponge or hardened like the rock.

As we come to God in repentance He cleanses our heart.

As we live our live in a way that makes us sensitive to the Holy Spirit and aware of our need to repent when we sin we maintain that porous heart.

The man or woman who has allowed their heart to be hardened by sin never sees or acknowledges the need to repent.  

The porous heart has the ability to receive the love of God.

The stony and hardened heart has no such ability apart from a touch from God.

The hardened heart is filled only with self.

Have you found yourself hardened to sin in some area and closing off part of your heart to God?

King David had.

He had sinned with Bathsheba and cried out to God in Psalm 51 –

Have mercy on me, O God,

    according to your unfailing love;

according to your great compassion

    blot out my transgressions.

Wash away all my iniquity

    and cleanse me from my sin...

... Create in me a pure heart, O God,

    and renew a steadfast spirit within me.

Do not cast me from your presence

    or take your Holy Spirit from me.

Restore to me the joy of your salvation

    and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.”

If that is you today you can come to God in repentance and through the finished work of Jesus Christ we know we are forgiven.

He will turn the stone to flesh once again in your life.

No comments: