Thursday, May 26, 2016

Get Back Up


“My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this:

Everyone should be quick to listen,

slow to speak and slow to become angry,”

James 1:19






In the verse above, James was writing to believers.

But maybe the three words “...everyone should be...” reveal just how well he understood the old nature at war within us.

What we should do is not always what we do.

Yes, even when we know better!

Listen to a fellow apostle’s words on this matter–

“For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing.” Romans 7:18-19

World War II was fought on many fronts.

The Allies did not win one battle and go home.

To win the war against our old nature means we will face on-going battles.

As long as we are in these ‘corruptible’ bodies we can expect resistance.

Have you lost a battle?

Don’t give up.

Confess, repent and get back up.

James lost some battles; so did Paul.

How do I know that?

Because they were human just like you and I.

But they didn’t allow those failures to define them.

When you have been quick to speak, slow to listen and quick to become angry seek God’s forgiveness, the forgiveness of any one you may have sinned against and forgive yourself.

Get back up stronger and wiser!



Click on the link below to take a lesson from this Toby Mac song:



No comments: