Friday, December 19, 2014

No Regrets This Christmas Season

Today's blog post is contributed by David Trotta:

 “But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness…” (Matthew 6:33).

That verse can be a bit more difficult to live up to during this time of year.  I don’t know about you, but as much as I try to make the Christmas season about Jesus, I always feel like I fall short.

The weeks leading up to Christmas become a hectic frenzy of planning, shopping, decorating, and cooking, and then culminate into a day of eating and opening gifts.

Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy everything about Christmas.  I enjoy the food, I enjoy the gifts, and I enjoy the extra time with family.  It’s an exciting time of year and one that contains many blessings from God.

My only regret is that after the day has passed, I almost always look back with some sadness because my thoughts and attention were more about the festivities than my Savior, yet it was my Savior who willingly left the halls of heaven to begin a journey that started in a manger and ended on a cross where He demonstrated the ultimate expression of love.

So, this Christmas season, no matter how hectic things get, will you join me in making time for Jesus by heeding the words of an old Christian writer who said…

Up now, slight man!  Flee for a little while they occupations; hide thyself for a time from thy disturbing thoughts.  Cast aside now they burdensome cares, and put away the toilsome business.  Yield room for some little time to God, and rest for a little time in Him.  Enter the inner chamber of thy mind; shut out all thoughts save that of God and such as can aid thee in seeking Him.  Speak now, my whole heart!  Speak now to God, saying, I seek they face; Thy face, Lord, will I seek.

No comments: