Monday, December 15, 2014

Avoiding the Cliché’s

“My mouth will speak words of wisdom;
    the meditation of my heart will give you understanding.”
Psalm 49:3
 
 
“He’s the Reason for the Season”
Wise Men Still Seek Him”
These are just a couple of the phrases tossed about during the holidays.
Some even become angry at others when they declare “Happy Holidays!”
 instead of “Merry Christmas!”
Think about the message that anger is sending.
I am not saying that as believers’ we shouldn’t take a stand in opposition to popular culture.
I am not saying we should “go along to get along”.
I am simply taking this moment to remind us to be sincere in what we speak.
We can become trapped into what I would call a ‘cliché’ response.
We say what is expected of us (or at least what we believe is expected of us) without giving any thought to our words.
Imagine the power of words chosen wisely and spoken in a timely moment to someone.
Believers can be as guilty as anyone of glib speech.
Let’s make a concerted effort to surrender our words to the transforming power of the Holy Spirit.
This season, and always, let’s speak life to those who are dead in trespasses and sin.
Let’s speak fellowship and friendship to those who are lonely, joy and peace to those in sorrow and depression.
Lord:
I surrender my tongue to you.
May it be used as a powerful weapon for good.
May the Holy Spirit direct me to words that build up and encourage those closest to me and the strangers I interact with on a daily basis.
Let my words be spoken with a motivation of heart that is pleasing to you.
In that matchless Name of Jesus I pray.
Amen
 

No comments: