Thursday, August 2, 2012

I Love You If…

as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us.
Psalm 103:12

Let’s see:
I love you if
Nope, can’t use that one
I love you when
A problem with that one too
I love you but
Everyone knows that statement comes with a sledge hammer attached
I love you despite
Uh-oh – that’ll really get me into trouble.
If”, “when”, “but” and “despite” are conditions we may put on extending our love to others.
I’ll love you if you love me in return
I can only love you when you are nice to me.
I do love you but I don’t really like you
I love you despite your shortcomings!
The “if” the “when” and the “but” you understand but what about “despite”?
It’s not wrong to love someone despite their shortcomings is it?
No, it’s not!
But when it is always necessary to point out their shortcomings we are essentially setting ourselves above them and belittling the other person.
It as if we are saying: “You don’t really deserve it, but I am going to love you anyway!”
God doesn’t rub our nose in the mess we made, does He?
He has made a way through His Son to forgive our sins as we repent from them.
If we stumble, He doesn’t come to say: “See, I knew you wouldn’t succeed.” 
Jesus dies for our sins but He now intercedes on our behalf in heaven.
God is for you and not against you!
It is His desire that you succeed and not fail.
He gives His Holy Spirit to help you love others without all the conditions applied.
That’s His kind of love!

No comments: