Thursday, January 5, 2012

My Action and Gods Reaction

“…he humbled himself…Therefore God exalted him to the highest place…”
Philippians 2:8, 9

Suppose you had what, in the world, is often referred to as the “Midas Touch” and everything you touched turned to gold.
All your endeavors seemed to work out favorably and others only looked at you in amazement because of the abundant blessings that were evident in your life.
How would you handle this?
Would it go to your head?
Would it so swell your ego that others, while recognizing the favor on your life, could not tolerate the arrogance and pride you demonstrate?
Or would it cause you to acknowledge the grace and favor lavished on you by a loving, heavenly Father?
The bible tells us that God resists the proud. Stop and think about that for a moment. God pours into your life but then, because of how your respond to what He blesses you with, you find yourself in opposition to God. Humility, on the other hand, is not only a character trait that attracts others to your life but it also causes God to lift you up. Jesus said in Matthew 23:12 “For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.” In other words – look at it this way:
I exalt self – God humbles me.
I humble self – God exalts me.
Perhaps more importantly is the understanding that if I want to realize the continual presence of God in my life I need to walk in humility and not in pride!

No comments: