Tuesday, January 3, 2012

God First, Last and Always

“Then I was constantly at his side. I was filled with delight day after day,

rejoicing always in his presence,”
Proverbs 8:30

O.K., you’ve made God your first thought at the start of the day and the last thought before you close your eyes to sleep at night.
What about the roughly 16 hours in-between?
Maybe you’re thinking… “That is simply too much time to make God a priority – I mean, after all, I do have to concentrate at work, don’t I?”
How might God answer that concern?
Let’s take a look at a couple of scriptures:

“I will extol the LORD at all times; his praise will always be on my lips.”
Psalm 34:1

Evening, morning and noon I cry out in distress, and he hears my voice.”
Psalm 55:17

“pray continually.”
I Thessalonians 5:17

The words or phrases: ‘at all times’; ‘always’; ‘evening, morning and noon’ and ‘continually’ seem to pretty much nail it down for us. Our lives should be in constant communion with God through His Holy Spirit.
If I want to grow, I must abide in His presence.
I hear you – you are not there yet – and neither am I.
However, not being at that place, is no reason to not set it as a goal, particularly in light of the passages we read above. When I make God my priority each and every day He can help me with all of the other issues of my life.
Take a step today in the right direction. Maybe you have neglected this area.
If ever there was a ‘New Year’s resolution’ worth making and keeping, this would be it.
Even better – this is one resolution that God is more than willing to see you succeed with!

No comments: