Monday, January 16, 2012

Getting a Clearer View



“Come, let us bow down in worship,

let us kneel before the LORD our Maker;”
Psalm 95:6


How do you view God?
Let me state it another way.
Suppose I said the only way you could view God was through a pair of ‘lenses’.
Then what lenses would you use that filters your view of Him?
Would it be through the ‘lenses’ of past hurts?
How about the ‘lenses’ of tradition or the ‘lenses’ of religion?
Do you view God only through the ‘lenses’ of convenience?
Many people view God through the ‘lenses’ of their own opinions.
We heard today that Authentic Worship Requires a True Vision of God.
God can reveal Himself to us in many ways but the authoritative way He has given is through His Word, the Bible. All of the things we mentioned previously, and probably a thousand more we could list, are not reliable ways to view God. Past hurts, religion, convenience, my own opinions; they all fall short of revealing the One True God and they can contribute to a worship of God not based in truth. A worship that is not authentic.
I am not saying that any of these things are always wrong.
I am saying that they are not always right.
What is always right in revealing God? His Word is. What He has revealed concerning Himself in the Bible.
Allow the Word of God to inform your worship by casting, for you, the true vision of God. He is our loving heavenly Father who sent His one and only son to die on the cross and shed His blood to atone for our sins. I love how the New International Version expresses it in Romans 5:8 “But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” The God that I love and that I worship did not just say He loved me, He demonstrated it through the death of His son. This was not accomplished after I got my act together but while was still a sinner.
What a Savior and how worthy He is of my worship!

No comments: