Tuesday, April 12, 2016

A Sacred Calling


 “But understand this, that in the last days dangerous times [of great stress and trouble] will come [difficult days that will be hard to bear].

For people will be lovers of self [narcissistic, self-focused]...

...Avoid such people and keep far away from them.”

II Timothy 3:1-5 Amplified






Loving yourself is healthy and biblical.

After all, we are to love those things that God loves and He loves you beyond measure.

What is not healthy is to love yourself for all the wrong reasons.

What are the wrong reasons?

The Apostle Paul speaks of a worldly self-love that is self-centered.

 I love myself now that I have had a nose job or I love myself because I am the best salesman in the world and no one can touch my performance.

The “it’s all about me, myself and I” mindset.

You know the superficial ways in which we try to value ourselves – our weight, our appearance (compared to others), our income, our family heritage – you name it.

Think for a moment what it would be like if that was how God was.

No plan to redeem His creation, no sending His Son to die in our place, no eternal fellowship with Him in heaven.

Nope, none of that because who cares about man anyway!

Imagine how John 3:16 would have to be rewritten...

For God so loved Himself that He turned His back on everyone else!

Aren’t you glad God created us to love and be loved?

And He demonstrated that love in a way that cost Him dearly.

We each are called to love someone God sent His Son to die for...

...you!

That’s right, learning to love yourself is a sacred calling.

No comments: