Wednesday, February 4, 2015

When Did We Do These Things?

The poor you will always have with you, but you will not always have me.”
Matthew 26:11
 
“All they asked was that we should continue to remember the poor,
the very thing I had been eager to do all along.”
Galatians 2:10
 

The disciples could rejoice that Jesus was in their midst.
At the time they did not fully comprehend what that meant.
The Bridegroom was with them.
“The Word became flesh and dwelt among us” is how John later described it in the Gospel.
But what of the poor?
Jesus said we would always have them with us.
In saying that was He relegating them to some second class role?
Not at all.
The 1st century church understood this and as Paul wrote in the Book of Galatians they were eager to ‘remember’ or minister to the poor.
Jesus no longer walked among them as He had done previously but there were still many, many opportunities to minister to Him.
How?
Listen to these words:
“I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’
“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’
Matthew 25:36-40
No, we will not always have Jesus in our midst as the disciples did but we have no less of an opportunity to minister to Him as we minister to the poor, the lost, the prisoner, the widow and the orphan.  
Have you ministered to Jesus today?
 

No comments: