Wednesday, February 25, 2015

He Waits For You

“Gideon replied, “If now I have found favor in your eyes,
 give me a sign that it is really you talking to me.
Please do not go away until I come back and bring my offering and set it before you.”
And the Lord said, “I will wait until you return.”
Judges 6:17-18
 
 
As you read the verses above concerning Gideon’s encounter with the Angel of the Lord I want to point out to you a portion that can speak volumes concerning the character of God.
Gideon asks the Lord not to leave while he goes to prepare an offering for Him.
As you can see the Lord responds favorably “I will wait until you return.”
But if you allow me to lift that verse out of context for a moment I believe it reveals the true character of God throughout eternity.
We serve a God who is patient and waits for our return.
Jesus amplified this characteristic of His Father when He told the parable of the Prodigal Son.
Some picture God as one who cannot wait to punish us.
He is, in their minds, eager to see you fail and not to return to Him.
Nothing could be further from the truth.
God loves you so.
If this post finds you as a prodigal, one who has run from the Father, please know that He waits for your return.
He waits, not with a rod of discipline but with an embrace that says “Welcome home”.
Gideon’s life was transformed by this encounter.
Your life can be transformed by your return.
Perhaps you have believed the enemy’s lies that God wants you back in order to humiliate you and mete out His justice.
Know this – He wants you back because He loves you so. His heart breaks for you and your absence is not something He delights in.
What joy there is when one child returns home.
Have you wandered away from God?
Here is His response –
“I will wait until you return.”

No comments: