Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Divine Detours

“But I will sing of your strength, in the morning I will sing of your love;
for you are my fortress, my refuge in times of trouble.”
Psalm 59:16
 


 
“…in the morning I will sing of your love…”
We all have our morning routines.
For some, the first thing after you get up may include pushing the coffee maker button on.
For others, it may be letting the dog out or taking the daily supplements.
Whatever your routine may include, does it also include singing of God’s love?
I’ll be honest – mine does not.
And yet it did for the Psalmist.
It was a routine that helped to develop the confidence he expressed in the next line.
“…you are my fortress, my refuge in times of trouble.”
This morning we got a call from our daughter’s caregiver.
She was on her way to our home when she was detoured through an unfamiliar route.
My wife was able to explain to her where the detour would take her and how to get her back on course.
Her ‘morning routine’ to our home did not include the detour.
Life can throw some detours our way.
When they happen, those unexpected ‘routine changers’, are we suddenly lost, fearful and anxious?
I am not telling you that getting up in the morning and singing changes all that.
I am encouraging you to make praise to the Lord your routine.
Do it morning, noon and at night.
Remind yourself of who He is and of His greatness and His love for you.
Then when the detours come (not if but when they come) you can encourage yourself in the fact that God is indeed your fortress.
But He is also your direction in times of detours.
Has your life taken a momentary detour?
Does it seem like your ‘routine’ has changed and not at your leading?
Maybe it’s a divine detour meant to remind you of who is in charge.
Allow me a paraphrase….
For you are my GPS, my direction in times of detour!
 
 

No comments: