Friday, September 14, 2012

“Jesus, I Hardly Recognized You!”

For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me…whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.’
Matthew 25: 35, 36, 40b
 






I’m so sorry Jesus.
I didn’t see or hear you come in.
I was feeding some people who hadn’t had a meal in days and finding something for them to wear that wouldn’t let the cold, wet rain soak them through.
You see; there is no guarantee that they will have a roof over their head tonight.
If you read the passage quoted above in its’ entirety you almost get the impression that that it is possible to be so immersed in doing good to those who are in genuine need that we miss the fact that it is also blessing the Lord.
   And we can almost imagine the opposite extreme of that would be like taking every moment to make sure God was seeing all you are doing.
After all, you cannot let a ‘heavenly photo op’ slip by!
I said above that it was as if we missed the fact that it was blessing the Lord.
But here’s the wonderful part – any good works done in
His Name, for those in need, does not go unnoticed by Him.  
Sure, you may not receive immediate reward or recognition,
but rest assured He sees you.  
Maybe you had a little trouble recognizing Jesus in the stranger, the hungry, the naked, or the prisoner but He was right there as you compassionately ministered in His Name!
Don’t stop!

No comments: