Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Credit or Blame?

 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.”
II Chronicles 7:14







Credit or Blame?
If it’s credit for something then we live in a “me” world.
We are very self-centered when it comes to taking credit.
But if it’s blame, then surely it is anyone but me!
Give me a moment to disappear because “it’s” their fault and not mine!
God addresses that tendency in us right up front in the verse today.
These words were spoken by God when Israel had a king.
But God didn’t say – If my king…
He didn’t say – If my leaders…
He didn’t even say – If my priests and prophets…
Instead, He rested the responsibility squarely on the shoulders of “…my people…”
If we are the people of God we are responsible for the condition of our land.
Stop blaming the leaders.
Stop blaming the President, Congress, or Supreme Court.
If you are upset with the condition of the nation it is ‘pointless’ to point fingers.
Instead, it is time to humble ourselves and pray.  
In the same way that we ought to give thanks to God each and every day and not just on Thanksgiving day, we ought to pray for this nation and our leaders each and every day and not only on election day!
If you count yourself as one of God’s “…my people…” then the command is clear.

No comments: