Friday, August 10, 2018

Noise is the enemy of our soul



Today’s blog post is contributed by David Trotta:

Call to me and I will answer you, and will tell you great and hidden things that you have not known. (Jeremiah 33:3)

I recently went for a hearing test.  I was put in a sound proof room where I could literally hear a pin drop.  The technician put a headset on me and instructed me to raise a finger every time I heard a beep.  She then left the room closing the airtight door behind her.  It was so quiet, I could hear myself breathing.

The technician then proceeded to release slight beeps into my headset.  Each set of beeps grew fainter and fainter as she tested the strength of my hearing.

There is no way she could have conducted the test without first putting me in an environment void of all noise.

The same is true when communicating with God.  We need to cultivate a quiet heart before we can hear the Lord’s still small voice.  And the only way to do that is to withdraw to a place of solitude, away from the many distractions of this world.  It is almost impossible to hear God in the frantic world we live in.

As you go through your day, begin to look for quiet places you can retreat to.  At work, I will sometimes retreat to a vacant conference room to get some alone time with God.  At home, find a corner of your house that is quiet.  When in your car, turn off the radio so it’s just you and God.

Once you are in that quiet place, settle your heart and listen intently for God’s still small voice.  He loves to speak to His children.

As AW Tozer put it, “noise is the enemy of our souls,” so make it a practice to steal away to those quiet places where you can commune with God.

No comments: