Friday, August 17, 2018

Knock, Knock


Today’s blog post is contributed by David Trotta:


Look! I have been standing at the door, and I am constantly knocking. If anyone hears me calling him and opens the door, I will come in and fellowship with him and he with me. (Revelation 3:20 TLB)

As I was reading the above verse recently, the words “have been” and “constantly” stood out to me.  He didn’t just arrive at the door of your heart.  He’s been there knocking all along.  If it was a physical knock, His knuckles would probably be raw and bloodied from the constant hitting against the door.

The word constantly means “Relentless, continuing without pause or letup, unceasing.”

He never stops knocking.  He is relentless and unceasing in His pursuit for fellowship with us.

Another truth I love about the above verse is that Jesus makes a point to call out two-way fellowship - He with us and us with Him.  And, I don’t think it’s a coincidence that He specified initiating fellowshipping with us first, because I believe His pursuit of us (after we’ve responded to His knocking) will cause us to hunger for greater fellowship with Him.

His constant pursuit of us also means it’s not dependent on us at all.

No matter how many times I mess up today, He keeps knocking.  No matter how many times I push Him away today, He continues knocking.

He keeps knocking, because He keeps loving.

God is soliciting our hearts today.  His knock is gentle, but persistent.  Kind, but deliberate.

Isn’t it time we answer the door?

No comments: