Friday, December 8, 2017

Health Check




Today’s blog post is contributed by David Trotta:

Search me, O God, and know my heart! Try me and know my thoughts!  And see if there be any grievous way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting! (Psalm 139:23-24)

My laptop computer came equipped with health check software.  Every few weeks the software automatically performs a scan of the hardware components in my computer and suggests recommended actions to improve performance.  It even performs a checkup if my system is running slowly and searches for corrupted files and attempts to repair them.

The Holy Spirit has a similar role in our spiritual life.  He will often search our hearts for things that keep us from drawing closer to God and then He works to remove those hindrances.

He will show us things in our life we need to walk away from because they are corrupting our hearts and causing us to operate at a spiritual level far below what God intended.

As important as my health check software is, it often slows down my computer while it’s scanning my system.  That can be very annoying, especially when I’m in a hurry and don’t have time to wait for the scan to finish (which is often).

  In those situations, I will often stop the scanning process with the good intention to turn it back on later when I’m not busy.  Well, as you can imagine, that time never comes.

Do you feel the Lord’s spotlight shining on an area of your life?  Is He trying to slow you down so He can gently begin to work on an area of your life?

Don’t abort the process by ignoring Him.  Instead, stop, listen, and yield to the Potter’s hand.  He has one goal in mind – to fashion you into the beautiful image of His son.

When a computer system is left unchecked, the small problems will grow into big problems and eventually lead to hardware failure.  When we resist the Holy Spirit’s work in our lives, we cripple our spiritual growth and set us on a path of destruction and unfulfilled expectations.

No comments: