Friday, December 15, 2017

Arming the Enemy




Today’s blog posting is from David Trotta:

Note: I am always encouraged and challenged by David’s postings and so look forward to how God will speak through him each Friday as he contributes. Please take advantage of what God has for us through what He shares through David! God Bless each one of you – Stephen B

In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the fiery darts of the evil one. (Ephesians 6:16)

My son in-laws can be big kids at heart.  Around the holidays they will sometimes come to the house armed with their nerf guns and run around the house shooting each other.  During some of the more intense battles, I’ve even seen them move furniture and tip over tables to provide cover as they launch their attacks.

One thing I love is how they share their weaponry and ammo to ensure anyone who wants to partake in the battle can do so.  The more the merrier they say, but once the shooting starts, every man for himself.

Arming the enemy during a nerf war is fun, but arming the enemy in real life can have tragic consequences.

The other day, during a time of reflection on the Lord, a random thought paraded across my mind, totally interrupting my time with the Lord.  At first I became angry at the evil one for shooting his fiery darts, but then I realized the thought was just a repeat of something I had recently seen while watching a movie.

At that moment, the Lord impressed upon me that I was “arming the enemy.”  By not being diligent with what I allowed my eyes to see, I was giving the evil one ammo to use against me at the opportune time.

We need to stop arming the enemy.  In Philippians 4:8, the bible says to think about whatever is true, honorable, just, pure, lovely, commendable, and worthy of praise.  When we do, we greatly limit the ammo our enemy can use against us.

We are in a spiritual war with a very real foe and the last thing we should be doing is arming the enemy.

No comments: