Monday, January 23, 2017

Before You Ask, Seek or Knock...


“Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.”

Matthew 7:7-8





Often we read this verse and the idea we latch onto is Aladdin granting us three wishes.

Money, fame, power, you name it.

Of course we don’t voice that, it wouldn’t be proper – still we often think it.

So what if we helped to clarify these verses by placing them in the context of John 15:7 where Jesus says:

“If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.”

You see, when I remain in Christ and He in me, I find that my heart desires seek to please Him.

What I ask for apart from remaining in Him will be quite different than what I ask for when I do abide in Him.

So, it’s not a genie granting you three wishes, it is not Publishers Clearing House at your front door and it is not the winning ticket in the lottery.

As we remain in Him though,  the promise is more sure than anything we can imagine.

Remain in Him, then...

Ask, seek and knock, then...

Continue to remain in Him!


No comments: