Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Something to Think About…

“I have not stopped giving thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers.”
Ephesians 1:16
 
Perhaps there are few things more personal than our private prayer closet.
We go in (figuratively perhaps) and close the door behind us.
We make every effort to eliminate distractions and interruptions.
We guard and value that ‘alone’ time with God.
But how about inviting in some friends?
Maybe even some enemies?
No, I ‘m not talking about their literal presence beside you as you pray.
Instead, how about taking to heart Paul’s words from today’s verse and remembering them (yes, the ‘them’ can even include your enemies) in your prayers.
“What, I’m supposed to give thanks for my enemies?”
Yes!
Let me ask you this – is time in your prayer closet alone with God a good thing?
I would have to believe your answer is “Yes, of course!”.
Are the circumstances of your life and the actions of your ‘enemies’ causing you to pray more intensely and spend more time with God?
Then I would thank God that those actions are driving you into God’s presence and not away from it.
Too often it is the unchallenged life that walks away from God.
In the absence of adversity, we are not desperate for His presence.
When we can take life at ease we see no need for God.
I don’t know about you but when I read Ephesians 1:16 my first thought of who to give thanks for and to remember in my prayers is not of an enemy but of a trusted and dear friend.
That’s not a bad thing.
But what if we started praying for those who have mistreated us?
What if we gave thanks, not only for the blessings, but also for those ‘things’ and ‘people’ that cause us to draw closer to God?
Something to think about…
 

No comments: