Monday, April 13, 2015

“Hey, What About Me?”

“Then he said to them all:
“Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves
and take up their cross daily and follow me.
For whoever wants to save their life will lose it,
but whoever loses their life for me will save it.
Luke 9:23-24
 
 
“Deny themselves…” is a universal call to any who would be Christ’s disciples.
It is something we all are called to.
You will not reach the end of this life and be able to look back and say:
“I have fought the good fight, I have been a good soldier of Jesus Christ but I was able to accomplish it without denying myself anything.”
Most people would not argue that point.
We understand that universal call.
Where we often stumble is on the next part that Jesus spoke:
“and take up their cross daily…”
It is at this point that we want to look at others and judge them as unfit for the Kingdom because “their” cross does not match my cross!”
What do I mean by that?
Even when Jesus struggled in the Garden with what He was about to face,
He never said to the Father:
“How come Elijah, Moses or David didn’t have to do this?”
Why must my cross be so much more difficult to bear than theirs?”
But we often question the ‘fairness’ of God.
“How come my life is so difficult?”
“Why do they ‘get away’ with what I cannot?”
At its’ core, these kinds of questions accuse God of favoritism and reveal our envy.
If you and I are to be about our Father’s business we need to
learn to leave everyone else’s business alone!
Ultimately, it comes down to trust.
Trust God with your life and all that it includes.
If you do, when you reach the end of this life, you will find the reward was well worth it!

No comments: