Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Hurry Up and Wait…

“I waited patiently for the Lord;
    he turned to me and heard my cry.”
Psalm 40:1
 
 
We have drive-up windows for our burgers.
We have drive-up windows for our coffee.
We have drive-up windows for our prescriptions.
I even read recently of a funeral home with a drive-up window to view the deceased.
We just can’t wait.
In and out quickly.
As the old saying goes – “We have places to go and people to see.”
But the Psalmist had a different pace – a slower pace – in seeking the Lord.
He said the he waited patiently for the Lord.
Something that many are not willing to do today.
After all, doesn’t God know I have a schedule to keep and that he is just one more penciled in appointment in my busy day!
The truth is we make the time for the things that are important to us.
If your walk with the Lord matters more to you than anything else in your day you will take the time to wait patiently for Him.
He is indeed worth the wait.
Can God answer the hurried plea of a desperate soul?
Of course He can and He often does.
But there are those times, more than we are willing to admit, when we rush needlessly into His presence not waiting, not lingering and demand He meet with us.
As if we can coerce or strong-arm God to do our bidding.
But if we learn to wait patiently on Him the reward is evident in our verse today.
“He turned to me and heard my cry.”
How many times can you say that?
More often than not we are the one to set a timer in our prayer closet.
Have you learned to wait patiently on Him?
Allowing Him to talk with you?
Do you have a conversation with the Creator of the Universe or do you,
 like a child sitting on Santa’s lap, recite a list of “I wants”?
Wait patiently for the Lord…

No comments: