Monday, November 3, 2014

The Gotta-Haves vs the Real Needs

“The Lord will guide you always;
    he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land
    and will strengthen your frame.
You will be like a well-watered garden,
    like a spring whose waters never fail.”
Isaiah 58:11
 
 
Have you ever watched any of those home improvement or real estate shows where a couple walk through a possible new home and details all that they do or do not like?
You can hear comments like “It doesn’t have stainless steel appliances”, “I must have granite counter tops” or “I just couldn’t live here – it is not the open concept I need!”
The reality behind these ‘reality’ shows is that all of those things are wants and not needs.
We can carry that thought process over into our walk with God if we are not careful.
“I must have….”
You can complete that statement!
We make walking with God contingent upon a list of pre-requisites being met.
Yes, the psalm does say –
“Delight thyself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart.”
Psalm 37:4
But a funny (actually a wonderful) thing happens as you delight yourself in the Lord.
As you reflect Him more and more the desires of your heart change.
Listen to the one ‘pre-requisite’ David had –
“One thing I ask from the Lord,
    this only do I seek:
that I may dwell in the house of the Lord
    all the days of my life,
to gaze on the beauty of the Lord
    and to seek him in his temple.”
Psalm 27:4
God’s presence, His life was David’s one pre-requisite.
A more ‘modern’ hymn expressed it this way –
“Take this whole world but give me Jesus.”
Allow the Holy Spirit to sort out with you the “gotta-haves” from the real needs in your life.
You just might be surprised!

No comments: