Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Are You Ready for Round 1?

“What I feared has come upon me;
    what I dreaded has happened to me.”
Job 3:25
 
“Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.”
Joshua 1:8
 
 
Picture a boxing ring.
The announcer calls the corners –
“Ladies and Gentlemen – in this corner, the heavyweight champion
of fear and dread – Job 3:25!”
He then goes on to announce the contender -
“And in this corner, the heavyweight champion of meditation on the Word of God - Joshua 1:8!”
Sometimes that is how I picture my thought life.
Like a battle raging between what I should be thinking about in one corner and what I shouldn’t be thinking about in the other corner.
No wonder life seems to deliver so many knock out punches to us.
No wonder we seem to be down on the mat for the ten count.
Our thinking too often focused at the ‘end of the glove’ of fear and dread.
Perhaps without realizing it Job was declaring the law of concentration
which says:
“Whatever you focus on you increase.”
God directs Joshua (and you and me) to the champion in the other corner:
meditation on His Word.
So whose corner do you want to be in today?
For that matter – whose corner do you want to stay in?
If you had to coach one of these champions how would you do it?
May I suggest you coach the one who makes you more Christ like.
May I also suggest your coaching go something like this –
“We’re turning off the TV, we’re shutting down those websites, we are going to eliminate those distractions out of your life and we are going to examine Christ’s life, His response to the enemy, His ‘fight strategy’.
We are making Him our focus above all else.  
His Word will become our 24/7 companion.
We will not entertain fear, worry or dread.”
As we do that, as we make that our practice we will see more and more the opponent on the mat for the ten count while we continue to stand in God’s grace, protection and provision!
Are you ready for Round 1?

No comments: