Monday, April 2, 2012

What Do You Reflect?



“Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For everything in the world—the cravings of sinful man, the lust of his eyes, and the boasting of what he has and does—comes not from the Father but from the world.”
I John 2:15-16

Is the love of God revealed to you through popular culture and the media?
Can we rely on Facebook, a TV program or the current issue of People magazine to showcase for us how much God loves you and I?
Of course we can’t.
The world presents and displays for us a love which is not the love of God.
As a matter of fact we are told in the passage above, from the Epistle of John, that if love for the world fills our lives then the love of the Father is not in us.
If His love does not reside in us then we cannot reflect or share that love with others.
We talked last week about abiding in the vine which is Christ. In addition, we find some direction in the next verse of John’s epistle. Verse 17 says that “The world and its desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever.”
You and I cannot do the will of God apart from His Spirit dwelling in us and His word hidden in our heart. But a heart in love with the world is a heart filled with other things. There is no room for His word. I must determine that, with the help of God, I will meditate on His word and let it fill my heart.
I must abide in the vine allowing the Spirit of God to direct my steps and my life.
Only then, will His love flow through me to others.
Don’t misunderstand me.
God loves me.
My actions do not change His love for me.
But my choices and my actions will determine if His love flows through me to others.
Will I be a vessel used for His glory?
If, out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks, then here are some questions to ask yourself if it is your desire to be a vessel through which His love flows.
What is found, in abundance, in your heart?
Who (or what) consumes your time?
What is your thought life filled with?
What are your viewing habits?
Love the world – have a worldly heart.
Love the Lord – have a heart that reflects His love!

No comments: