Friday, January 29, 2021

Taking Jesus at His Word

 

“Go,” Jesus replied, “your son will live.”

The man took Jesus at his word and departed.”

John 4:50


Have you ever said to someone

“I’m going to take you at your word!”?

In other words – I trust that what you said to me is true and I will act on it accordingly.

That is what we find in this verse.

The son of a royal official, we are told, was sick; actually near death.

The official begged Jesus to come and heal his son.

He exercised faith at the words of Jesus because, in fact, Jesus did not go from Galilee to Capernaum where the official’s son lay sick, He only spoke the word.

Have you received and acted on a word from Jesus or do you need something more?

Jesus commanded the official to “Go” and then added the words that drew out this man’s faith – “your son will live.”

So how did he exercise that faith?

The very next verse declares it:

“The man took Jesus at His word and departed!

The words of Jesus were enough!

Are they enough for you?

We sometimes ask for more.

But Jesus, aren’t you going to come and lay hands on her?

Won’t you follow me to my home?

I need others to see you act on my behalf!

Nope, none of those things were said, he simply took Jesus at His word and departed.

Oh that we as a church will take Jesus at His word and go!

 

 

 

No comments: