Monday, January 4, 2021

I, Me, Mine!

 

“Someone in the crowd said to him, “Teacher, tell my brother to divide the inheritance with me.”

“Jesus replied, “Man, who appointed me a judge or an arbiter between you?”  Then he said to them, “Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed;

life does not consist in an abundance of possessions.”

Luke 12:13-15 

How would you define ‘surplus’?

Perhaps a better question is what evidence is there in our society that many of us have way more ‘things’ than we need?

For me, one clear indication has always been the proliferation of those storage facilities that are everywhere nowadays.

You can hardly travel a mile or two down the road without spotting them.

Don’t get me wrong, there may be plenty of legitimate needs for them.

I know some small businesses that, due to government regulations concerning records retention, rent storage spaces just for that.

But honestly, we have to admit, when two people live in a 2,000 square foot home and have a long term rental space for their additional ‘toys’

maybe – just – maybe

we have more than we need.

We have surplus.

We have excess.

              ------ Or looking at it another way -----

                            We have ample opportunity to bless others!

                                Jesus told the parable of the Rich fool

                        It can be found in it’s entirety in Luke Chapter 12

                          Take some time to read through it as we look

                                more closely over the next few posts.

In the meantime, consider this:

                 Can my surplus, my excess meet someone else’s need?

                      And...

               Am I willing to part with what I don’t need to do just that?

No comments: