Friday, October 6, 2017

Do you trust your heart to be your teacher?


Today’s blog post is contributed by David Trotta:



I will bless the Lord who has counseled me; indeed, my heart (mind) instructs me in the night. (Psalm 16:7)

Wait, my mind instructs me in the night?  Knowing the things that go through my mind sometimes, that’s a pretty scary thought.

The above verse underscores the importance of making sure our mind is renewed and reflects the mind of Christ, because whatever we fill our minds with during the day, will continue to shape and influence us long afterwards, even as we sleep.

Our minds are like a playlist on repeat.  They will keep playing the same song over and over.

In the above verse, the Psalmist could rejoice in being instructed by his heart at night because he allowed the Lord to be his counselor during the day.

Can you say the same? 

In the next verse (v8), the psalmist declares “I have set the Lord continually before me.”  The psalmist’s heart continually looked upon the Lord.  That’s all he thought about.  He allowed the Lord to provide direction and guidance to his heart.

Where do you receive your counsel from during the day?  Do you trust your heart to be your teacher at night?

No comments: