Thursday, July 7, 2016

Don’t Be Crazy or Foolish or Unwise


“The Lord said to Gideon, “You have too many men.

I cannot deliver Midian into their hands,

or Israel would boast against me,

‘My own strength has saved me.’”

Judges 7:2





Imagine the trust necessary to reduce the size of your army when you already know you are vastly outnumbered by your enemy.

I did say ‘trust’ although some would describe it another way...

... like crazy or foolish or unwise.

But God was going to prove Himself strong on Israel’s behalf against the Midianites.

No one would be able to boast that is was because of their leader Gideon or the size or skill of their army but only through the hand of their God.

Sometimes we look at our success and credit it to anything and everything but the Lord.

We claim great business acumen or that our good likes and charismatic personality got us the job.

We say the fat bank account is because we did it all and without anyone’s help.

We boast in our own strength and not in the goodness, grace, favor, blessings and strength of the Lord.

That is what I would describe as truly crazy or foolish or unwise.

Consider all that you have, understand it is only through the goodness of God.

Instead –

“but let the one who boasts boast about this: that they have the understanding to know me, that I am the LORD, who exercises kindness, justice and righteousness on earth, for in these I delight," declares the LORD.”

Jeremiah 9:24


No comments: