Friday, November 16, 2012

Are You Sleeping Like A Baby?

 “From the Lord comes deliverance.
    May your blessing be on your people.”
Psalm 3:8



How has your sleep been lately?
There are certainly hundreds of things that could keep people up at night.
Psalm 3 was written by King David.
It is titled: “A Psalm of David. When he fled from his son Absalom.”
His family could have caused David some sleepless nights.
But it didn’t.
How about your family?
Or maybe its’ your job, your health or your finances that keeps you awake.
David was fleeing for his life from his own son who had betrayed him and yet…
…and yet verses 5 and 6 offer an interesting insight –
“I lie down and sleep;
    I wake again, because the Lord sustains me.
 I will not fear the tens of thousands
    drawn up against me on every side.”
Through the betrayal, through the thousands who sought his life,
remarkably David was still able to put his head down and sleep.
How was that possible for David?
How is it possible for you and me?
The answer is found in the very same verse.
David could sleep because he knew who sustained him.
He was not sustained by his wealth, his power, his righteousness
and certainly, given his circumstances, not by his family.
He was sustained by the Lord!
What sustains you?
Your stock portfolio?
Your career?
Your countries leaders?
Your retirement account?
Does it give you peaceful sleep through the night?
Likely not given our current state of affairs!
Knowledge of the Lords’ sustaining power in my life can bring peace in the midst of a storm.
The one who knows that God alone sustains can declare with King David:
“But thou, O Lord, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head.”
Psalm 3:3 (KJV)

No comments: