Friday, June 15, 2012

Turbulence Ahead!

“For in the day of trouble
    he will keep me safe in his dwelling;
he will hide me in the shelter of his sacred tent
    and set me high upon a rock.”
Psalm 27:5

What is your response to a little turbulence on an airplane?
How do you handle it?
Do you fall apart?
Are you such a spectacle that everyone else on that plane is abundantly aware that you have made a mountain out of a mole hill?
I am not belittling those who have a fair of flying.
I know it can be a genuinely paralyzing fear for some.
My point is that some amount of turbulence is not unusual on a flight.
If you have done any amount of flying I am sure you have experienced it to one degree or another.
And, if you are reading this I am sure you have survived the flight!
What about the ‘turbulence of life’?
If you have done any amount of living I am sure you have experienced it to one degree or another.
But, just because you are reading this blog, does not give me insight into how well you have ‘survived’ that turbulence.
You and God both know your reaction though.
Do the bumps in the road of life drive you to panic or to prayer?
Sometimes, on a flight you get advance warning from the pilot when turbulence is coming.
In life, it often comes without warning, seemingly out of the blue.
But regardless of how ‘prepared’ we may seem to be my question is still the same:
 Does it drive you to your knees in prayer or bring you to your feet in panic?
I don’t regularly get up in the morning with a revelation of how the day will unfold.
Do you?
I do get up in the morning to a Father who will unfold my day and strengthen me with the courage and abiding presence I will need for the turbulence I encounter that day.
Do you?

No comments: