Friday, January 26, 2018

Ask, and you shall love



Today’s blog post is contributed by David Trotta:

How much do you love God?

Often times, my attempts to love God seem feeble at best and mostly made up of lip service.  Sometimes I feel like I love a thousand things more than I love Him.

When trying to obey the command to “Love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind, and strength,” I feel like I’m on a hamster wheel running and running, but never making any progress.

Do you ever feel that way?

But, what if loving God with all our heart is not an unrealistic goal, but we’ve just been going about it the wrong way?

What if instead of trying to love God, we just come clean and tell God we don’t know how to love Him as He deserves.

When we are transparent with God, admit our shortcomings, and come as little children, He is free to move powerfully in our lives.

In Matthew 7:11, Jesus said "How much more shall your Father who is in heaven give what is good to those who ask Him.”

It is good to love God.  Surely He will honor such a request.

As I write this, I’m reminded of how pleased God was when Solomon of the Old Testament didn’t ask for long life and riches, but instead asked for wisdom to lead God’s people.

Imagine how pleased God is when we ask for help to love Him more, instead of asking for material and physical blessings, things often at the top of our prayer list.

Start praying and get ready to fall in love.

No comments: