Wednesday, April 2, 2014

An Object Lesson

“This is the word that came to Jeremiah from the Lord:
 “Go down to the potter’s house, and there I will give you my message.”
 So I went down to the potter’s house, and I saw him working at the wheel.”
Jeremiah 18:1-3
 
 
 
            The Book of Jeremiah is rich in object lessons.
It is not unlike so many of the other Bible books where God used everyday objects to instruct.
He used these objects to speak to the prophet and to the Nation of Israel.
He hasn’t changed.
Sometimes we get so intent on seeing and hearing God speak through the supernatural that we miss the voice of God teaching us through the natural things around us.
The ordinary things of life: the tools of your trade, a grocery store shelf of food, the weather…
Recently I was complaining (to myself) about the long Winter this year here in Western New York.
The Spirit of God whispered to my spirit…
“It could be worse.”
I thought to myself that perhaps He meant more frequent and heavier snow with even lower temperatures.  
But instead He simply whispered… “You could be homeless!”
It was spoken sarcastically or with the intent to plant guilt.
Rather, He spoke it in love to turn a complaining heart to a grateful one.
He used something simple – my complaint of our weather – as the object to teach me that I don’t always recognize His blessing and too often take them for granted.
Are you so busy looking for the ‘profound’ that you miss the ‘simple’ lesson?
Ask God to open your eyes to the simple lessons He can teach through the ordinary.
Then get ready!
 
 

No comments: