Monday, October 7, 2013

Does God Need Me?

“Before the mountains were born
    or you brought forth the whole world,
    from everlasting to everlasting you are God.”
Psalm 90:2
 
Make no mistake about it, God doesn’t need you!
I didn’t say God doesn’t love you.
I didn’t say God didn’t create you.
I didn’t even say that God doesn’t have a purpose for your life.
He does indeed love you very much.
He did create you and yes, He does have a purpose for your life and for mine.
But we make a serious mistake when we think that there was some void in God’s being that only could be filled by man.
God chose to create us that He might lavish His love and His goodness on us.
He is not incomplete without us though.
As the scripture declares, from everlasting to everlasting He is God.
That means that God in all His splendor, holiness and perfection, was God long before He first breathed life into the dust to create Adam.
God is far and above His creation.
He is seen in His creation but, He is infinitely greater than those things He has created.
Some may take all that I have said above as an indication of diminished worth for us.
On the contrary, He values us so highly that He has made us co-heirs with Christ.
That is not something we deserved, earned or are in any way entitled to.
It is out of His great love for us.
God doesn’t need me (or you) to validate His existence but I am eternally grateful that He created me and fills my life with purpose.
Have you thanked Him for that today?

No comments: