Wednesday, October 30, 2013

A Book That is Alive?

“For the word of God is alive and active.
Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit,
joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.”
Hebrews 4:12
 
 
Can you come to know Jesus through reading the Bible?
Yes and No.
How’s that for an answer!
I suspect you know what I mean though.
Unless the Spirit of God brings revelation, the Bible is like any other book.
It is mere words on paper.
Now before I offend all of you - I understand that the Word of God is alive.
But it is made alive by His Spirit, isn’t it?
Perhaps you can remember a time, before you knew Christ,
when you picked up the Bible and it did nothing but confuse you.
In John 6:63 Jesus said:
The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing. The words I have spoken to you—they are full of the Spirit and life.
Did you catch that last part - “…full of the Spirit and life…”
It is by revelation from the Holy Spirit to our spirit that Gods’ Word comes alive to us.
It is only by revelation.
It is safe to say then that a relationship with God through His Son Jesus Christ does not come from “book learning” but through revelation!
Oh yes, I know – someone may indeed open His word and share the scriptures with you, but unless God brings revelation, those scriptures will not have any impact.
They may even repel you!
I can never boast that it is through my intellect, my great intelligence that I am saved.
It is through God’s grace and by revelation from His Spirit.

No comments: