Thursday, February 2, 2012

Confidently Answering Yes



“And Mary said, Behold the handmaid of the Lord;
be it unto me according to thy word.
And the angel departed from her.”
Luke 1:38 KJV

Mary’s response to the angel was: “…according to thy word.”
Her response is as remarkable for what she didn’t say as for what she did say.
She didn’t say: “Can I get back to you?”
She didn’t say: “I’ll have to think about it!”
She didn’t say: “All good except that ‘…be with child…’ part.”
Her response (an indication of her faith) was immediate, obedient and unequivocal.
How do you respond to the word spoken to you?
Is your response also immediate, obedient and unequivocal?
I must confess that I don’t always respond as I should.
I don’t always respond as Mary did.
To be sure, what Mary heard would tend to raise more questions than it did provide answers. As the pregnancy advanced I am sure the stares, the questions from busy-bodies and the innuendo’s increased. Despite this we find nowhere in the record of scripture where Mary expresses regret for her decision to say yes to God. She said to the angel: “…be it done unto me according to thy word.” And then she stayed the course and saw that word fulfilled in her life. As God speaks to you and you respond; do you list caveats? Do you try to ‘bargain’ with God as to the timing or the nature of what He has spoken?
But you protest and say: “Aren’t we supposed to count the cost of something before we agree to it? Isn’t it wrong to make hasty decisions?
Yes and Yes.
But here is the difference.
I respond to God (unlike how I would respond to the propositions of man) out of the knowledge and understanding that His plans and His purposes for me are always good and never evil.
I cannot ever look back and point an accusing finger at God and say: “You did this to my ruin and to see me destroyed.” That is contrary to His nature and His character. I, and you, can confidently say yes to God knowing that His way is always best.
I did not say it is always the easiest but it is always best!

No comments: