Thursday, April 22, 2021

God Reveals Himself to Us

 

Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love them and show myself to them.”

John 14:23


 

I have always appreciated the way that the King James Version translates the word ‘show’ in the verse above.

It uses the word ‘manifest’.

Manifest is defined as: to make clear or evident; show plainly; reveal.

We find then that the verse above links two things together; love and revelation.

But if you examine it again, note that it is not two things linked together but three.

We also find revelation is tied to obedience because the one who truly loves the Lord will obey His commands.

Maybe you can think of it as a three stranded cord: love, obedience and revelation.

My love for God is evident by my obedience to Him.

As I love Him. As I obey Him, He reveals Himself to me. God manifests Himself, i.e. God makes Himself clear and evident.

To the one who loves Him and obeys Him He plainly shows Himself.

Jesus said, in John 17:3, that eternal life was knowing the Father,

the only true God and His Son Jesus Christ.

So we understand a second purpose in Gods’ love.

Previously we spoke of a purpose of His love was that we would be a dwelling place for Him on earth.

Today we see that another purpose of His love is that He might reveal Himself to us.

Thus we are not simply containers for His glory.

He desires us to be in intimate relationship with Him!

No comments: