Thursday, April 29, 2021

God Loves You – A Saint-in-Progress

 

“We always thank God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,

when we pray for you, since we heard of your faith in

Christ Jesus and of the love that you have for all the saints,”

Colossians 1:3-4 


Here’s a provocative question, so after I ask it, I hope you’ll still love me...

after all I am also a saint-in-progress just like you!

So here goes with my question -

Are there any prostitutes, deceivers or murderers reading this post?

I ask that rhetorically of course!

We must understand that God used some people maybe just a little different from me and you...and maybe just people who were a little tougher to love.

He used a prostitute (Rahab) to hide some spies and then, knowing her past, still He put her in the bloodline of the Messiah

He used a schemer and deceiver named Jacob who basically stole his father Abraham’s blessing. Yep, he’s in the bloodline too! 

God used an accessory to murder, Saul of Tarsus, and yet after his conversion he wrote a huge portion of the New Testament.

Keep in mind though that God loved each one of them while they were yet sinners!

So what has any of that got to do with loving all the saints?

Everything really!

If each of us is a work in progress then maybe, just maybe, we are called to love less than perfect people.

I know, I know, it sounds obvious but in practice it is very easy to forget. 

But here’s a fair question for you to ask:

“Since we are also called to love even our enemies wouldn’t loving the saints be a whole lot easier?”

You would think so but...

Not always.

You see we often keep our enemies at arm’s length, not so that

‘saint of a sister’ or that crazy saint brother in the seat behind me in church!

This question may be wearing on you but...

Do you have love for all the saints?

No comments: