Friday, September 19, 2014

Is your view horizontal or vertical?

Today's blog post is contributed by David Trotta -


About this time a year ago I lost my job.  I remember driving home and immediately thinking about all the things I needed to do to help sustain me during this upcoming season of my life.  But, instead of looking vertical (to my heavenly Father), my first inclination was to look horizontal.  My horizontal thought process went something like this – I need to make some calls, get my resume polished up, take a hard look at my bank account and tighten the budget.

Sure, those things are all good and important, but they all had one shortcoming – they were horizontally limited.  What I needed to do first and foremost was look vertical.

In Luke 21:28, after describing the difficulties that will accompany the end times, Jesus said “Now when these things begin to occur, look up and lift up your heads, because your redemption (deliverance) is drawing near.” He instructed us to look vertical.

Jesus is teaching us an important truth here.  When difficulties come, look vertically to the only One that can redeem us in the midst of our hardships.  After losing my job, once I looked up, my mindset changed and I realized my job transition wasn’t due to being outplaced by my employer.  It was due to being “divinely-placed” by God.

Are you going through a difficult time?  Look up because your deliverer is coming to rescue you.

No comments: