Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Don’t Be a Warm Believer

“To the angel of the church in Laodicea write:
These are the words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the ruler of God’s creation.
I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other!  So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth. You say, ‘I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.’ But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked. I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see.
Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest and repent. Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me.
To the one who is victorious, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I was victorious and sat down with my Father on his throne.
Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches.”
Revelation 3:14-22
 

 
Lukewarm?
It means ‘just slightly warm.’ It is definitely not cold.
It is not even room temperature. There is some heat associated with it.
But not enough to be of much use!
It is ‘warmth’ that lacks any passion, zeal or enthusiasm.
God help us from being ‘warm’ Christians.
They are not always easy to identify. How can you spot someone who is hot?
Listen to this parable Jesus spoke:
The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field.
Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it.”
 Matthew 13: 44-45
“…in his joy went and sold all he had…”
How can you spot someone who is hot? They value the eternal over the temporal.
They value the things of God and His Kingdom as greater than any of their other possessions.
They recognize the Kingdom for the treasure that it is and will gladly forsake all else for it.
Yesterday, we looked talked about the Wedding Feast of the Lamb.
Imagine being a guest at a wedding knowing that the love between the bride and groom was lukewarm at best.
Too be sure, it would not be the joyous occasion you would expect!
Lord:
We pray that you will help us to ‘raise the temperature’ of our love for you.
May we, as the old chorus says,
“… keep falling in love with Him over and over and over and over again.”
May the heat be turned up on our passion for you!
May we look forward with great anticipation to the Wedding of the Lamb and His Bride!
In Jesus Name we pray
Amen.

No comments: