Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Choose Just One!

““This, then, is how you should pray:
“‘Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
 your kingdom come,
your will be done,
    on earth as it is in heaven.
 Give us today our daily bread.
 And forgive us our debts,
    as we also have forgiven our debtors.
 And lead us not into temptation,
    but deliver us from the evil one.”
Matthew 6:9-13
 
 
You might think this is wrong on so many different levels.
If you do, let me apologize in advance.
But humor me for a few moments just the same.
Suppose we polled 1,000 people and asked them if they had to choose one phrase from the Lord’s Prayer as the most important phrase, which one would they choose.
How about you?
What would you choose?
I know what you’re thinking and yes they are all Red Letter words but you still have to choose just one phrase!
Well, I suppose there is no easy answer but let me give you my choice.
“…your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven…”
Why that particular phrase?
Because when the object of my prayers is to see His will done and not my own; everything else will fall into place.
Too often our prayers are centered on our needs and only our needs.
That is prayer that misses the mark.
God does have good plans for your life and my life.
But those good plans are found inside of His will.
That means that even when I pray those words:
“your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.”
I am praying a prayer that puts me in a place of purpose, protection and provision.  
It is about Him but at the same time His answer to that petition takes care of me.
Praise Him!
 
 

No comments: