Monday, April 22, 2013

From Victim to Victorious

 “The reason my Father loves me is that I lay down my life—only to take it up again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This command I received from my Father.”
John 10:17-18
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The only truly innocent person was crucified on a cross two thousand years ago.
Jesus lived a sinless life.
He died for you and for me.
Yet, even as He hung in the cross dying, He never played the victim.
We are told that he endured the cross for the joy that was set before Him.
He was victorious over sin and death.
He was not a victim to it.
A victim is always looking to lay blame for their circumstances elsewhere.
They are often so consumed with ‘what has happened to me’ or ‘what they did to me’ that they miss the opportunity to stand in victory over their circumstances.
Jesus never allowed Himself to pout or wallow in the ‘they done me wrong’ attitude.
 His purpose was to do the will of His Father.
That purpose kept Him in victory, not as victim.
We too, if our desire is to develop self-control, must transition from victim to victorious.
We must move from self-pity to purpose.
As we have discovered this past week, self-control must be developed.
But emotional responses tend to ‘just happen’ when we live at that place of reaction and feelings rather than reflection and faith.
As long as you are content to be a victim you will never be victorious.
A victim of a violent crime can be held hostage long past a court hands them a victory.
Just as we can remain a victim of sin or victorious over sin.
As you look to Christ, allow Him to transition you from victim to victorious!

No comments: