Tuesday, February 26, 2013

‘Stranger Danger’ and Risk

When I am afraid, I will trust in you.”
Psalm 56:3
 
Yesterday we spoke of the importance of taking risks in walking with God.
So how do we learn to ‘take a risk’ with God.
Let me ask you a question as we get to the heart of the matter.
If I was a total stranger and asks you to trust me what would your response be?
Maybe you would question “Why should I do that?”
Maybe you would simply walk away and say “Sorry, I’m not about to trust a total stranger!”
After all, we’ve taught our children all about ‘stranger danger’!
Isn’t it true that we are more willing to take a risk when we know a person?
Then it stands to reason that the greater I know someone the more willing I am to take a risk.
‘Safety-seekers’ have not learned to ‘step out of the boat’ as Peter did.
Their relationship with Jesus does not go deep enough to trust Him with risks.
Keeping our ‘boat on the lake’ idea afloat; suppose you were all alone in a boat and fell overboard.
Now lets’ further suppose you could not swim very well.   
I know, you shouldn’t have been alone in a boat to begin with.
(But, if you are like me you don’t always do the wisest things.)
You are thrashing around in the water in panic and someone in a motorboat sees you and rescues you.
You thank them profusely but get back in your own boat and row away as they watch.
In our little story, Jesus is the rescuer who saves us from drowning in our sin.
We thank Him profusely for saving us but we then go on our way, the captain of our own boat and our own destiny.
We never take the time to build a relationship with Him.
Is it any surprise then when we struggle to trust Him and are unwilling to take even the slightest of risks for the sake of the Kingdom of God?
You see, God is trustworthy.
When it comes to comparisons, there isn’t a close second place.
He can be trusted.
But I learn how to trust Him as I build that relationship.
There is nothing unusual about that.
You know it to be true with your family and friends.
So, step one in learning to take risks with God is building that relationship with His Son through the Holy Spirit.
If God is a ‘stranger’ to you, then taking the risk will most be more difficult.

No comments: