Friday, February 8, 2013

In God We Trust?

“in God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I will not be afraid.
    What can mortal man do to me?”
“in God I trust; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?”
Psalm 56:4, 11
 
 
“In God We Trust”
As of the writing of today’s blog those words can still be found on our currency here in the United States.
But a search of scriptures will not locate that phrase.
Instead, you can find our text above with the words “in God I trust”.
So what?
I am not opposed to the statement on our currency but I point it out only in this respect:
scripture does not call “we” to trust without first requiring “I” to trust.
In other words, God is a loving Father who desires a relationship with each of us individually and personally.
So often we use the ‘we’ to shield us from the ‘I’.
If ‘I’ can hide behind the ‘group we’ or the ‘family we’ or a ‘church we’ maybe ‘I’ won’t have to address the ‘I’ statements God presents in scripture.
Will I trust in God?
Will I believe His word?
What will I do with His Son?
Where will I spend eternity?
Or, the questions we have asked these 21 days of prayer and fasting at His Place:
Will I encounter His presence?
Will I experience His power?
Will I engage His plans?
I understand the preaching against the personal pronoun “I”.
It was the first word of several statements Lucifer declared that ended in his fall from heaven.
There is often far too much ‘I’ in me and you.
But ultimately, we are called upon to answer some of the ‘I’ statements I posed above.  
So how will the ‘I’ in you answer?
Will you trust Him when family deserts you?
Will you trust Him when nations no longer honor Him?
Will you choose Him over all other interests?
How will you address and answer the ‘I’ statements?

No comments: