Monday, February 11, 2013

Modern Day ‘Pharaohs’

“Moses said to the Lord, “O Lord, I have never been eloquent, neither in the past nor since you have spoken to your servant. I am slow of speech and tongue.” The Lord said to him, “Who gave man his mouth? Who makes him deaf or mute? Who gives him sight or makes him blind? Is it not I, the Lord? Now go; I will help you speak and will teach you what to say.”
Exodus 4:10-12
 
 
What are some obstacles you are currently facing in your life?
I’m not talking about a hangnail or what to wear to work tomorrow.
What are those genuine and significant obstacles in your life that you believe are keeping you from completing the purposes God has for you?
Moses was sent by God to give a message to Pharaoh.
God said: “Let my people go…”
Pharaoh said to Moses: “Why sure, I’d be happy to; how else can I help you today Moses?”
Not exactly!
His words actually were – “…Who is the Lord, that I should obey Him and let Israel go? I do not know the Lord and I will not let Israel go” Exodus 5:2
You see, Pharaoh became Moses’ obstacle.  
Please note that I did not say he became ‘Gods’ obstacle.’
That would be an oxymoron.
You know the rest of the story so you know that the Children of Israel, 1,000,000+ strong, not only marched out of Egypt, leaving the greatest and most powerful nation of that  day behind but they did so with gold, silver and other plunder.
This was not a hard thing for God.
But it was a tad unbelievable to Moses at first.
Moses saw Pharaoh as a huge obstacle!
He offered a lot of excuses (we like to call them reasons) why it couldn’t be or shouldn’t be him to carry God’s message and lead the people out.  
God had to have a man who would believe that what He (God) had commissioned him (Moses) to do could be done, no matter what the obstacles.
He had to have a man who believed God, not himself, was capable.  
Suppose God called you to a task far, far greater than what you felt you could accomplish.
Suppose the obstacles were like giants in the land.
This is what Moses faced.
Don’t be content with getting to heaven and saying:
“God, thank you for healing my hangnail – I knew you could do it!”
Instead, ask God – “Lord, what obstacle, what modern day ‘Pharaoh’ are you calling me to deliver a message to and to see removed by your power and under your anointing?”

No comments: