Friday, May 18, 2018

Our Good Portion


Today’s blog post is contributed by David Trotta:


A woman named Martha welcomed Jesus into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet and listened to his teaching.  But Martha was distracted with much serving. And she went up to him and said, “Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her then to help me.” But the Lord answered her, “Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, but one thing is necessary.  Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her.”

My mother in-law came to live with us recently after being diagnosed with lung cancer.

Not long after being at the house she asked if her brother, her only living sibling, could come up from Florida and stay with us so he could spend time with her.

On the way home from picking up my wife’s uncle at the airport, he asked how he could help my wife and I while he was in town visiting.  I told him not to worry about helping out.  His priority was to just enjoy his sister and spend as much time with her as possible.

I’m assuming Mary knew Martha needed help serving the guests, but spending time with Jesus was much more important to her.  The other stuff could wait.

Some might think it was selfish of her to leave all the work to Martha, but I admire Mary for making Jesus a priority even in the midst of the pressures of life.

It is so easy to succumb to those pressures.  I know as well as anyone.  But if we only understood that spending time with Jesus will equip us to better handle all the stuff life throws at us.

He is our “good portion” as the above verse tells us.  The verse also tells us that Jesus protected Mary’s desire to be with Him.  Jesus declared “It will not be taken from her.”

I believe God will protect our time when we chose to make being in His presence a priority.  I believe He will supernaturally rearrange the things in our life so that all our earthly needs and commitments will be taken care of as we put Him first.

I’m sure you’ve heard this familiar verse before... “But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.”  What a promise!  One that we should take advantage of.

Don’t let the lesser things in life keep you from a good portion of God’s presence.

No comments: